Hey y'all! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm Erika Forth, and you may know me from my Teachers Pay Teachers store. I'm a former northerner from Michigan who has resided and taught in Nashville, TN for the last four years. Sadly, I do not have a southern accent yet, and many people actually mistake my Michigander accent for that of Minnesota. It does not impress me.
My experience includes 4 years of classroom teaching in grades 7-9; specifically, 7th/8th grade Language Arts, 8th grade Social Studies, 9th grade English, and 9th grade READ180 reading intervention. I have also taught RTI2 to ELLs. The two schools I have taught at were both Title I schools, one being "inner city" high school if you will, and the other, a middle school, having a 44% ELL population with over 22 languages spoken. I also have been a Teacher-Consultant with a chapter of the National Writing Project. As of March 2015, I decided to leave the classroom to focus on creating materials for my store on Teachers Pay Teachers and to sell real estate as well.
Some fun facts about me:
- I am an official crazy cat lady. I have one cat named Giles (Pronounced Jiles) who is named after a character from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She is my baby and her interest include fetching gatorade rings, dipping paws into momma's cereal and smoothies, and knocking candles off counters when she does not get enough attention. She does not enjoy when I take her out on a leash. I would love more than one cat, but sadly Giles is picky.
- I am a closet nerd. I live for Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, and Buffy. Actually my list of nerdy TV shows that I enjoy is so long, I'm not even going to start. How many times have I rewatched seasons? Not going to answer that either.
- I am a computer nerd and began designing websites when I was only ten years old. Now a days, I prefer to pay someone to design my blog & real estate websites for me to save me the headache. I get very, very frustrated when technology doesn't work, and so that's why I think I didn't follow in the footsteps of my dad and be a IT person.
- I am obsessed with houses and am a new real estate agent. I used to draw subdivisions and floor plans as a kid and "sell" them to willing family members, so I always knew I would merge into the field at some point in my life. I've had my license for almost a year, but didn't really do anything with it because school was so overwhelming and time consuming. I have, however, been a homeowner since I was 23. I did that on my own and I am quite proud of it.
- I LOVE to read young adult novels. I haven't had enough time for it lately, but I used to read 100+ books a year. I actually do not enjoy reading novels intended for adults. The only exception to this is Gone Girl.
- I don't consider myself to be bold or daring, but I decided to move 500 miles away from home on a whim to a city where I didn't know a single soul. I also decided to quit teaching for employment over Spring Break, so I could you could describe me as bold or daring afterall.
- I am an introverted, highly sensitive person (it's a real thing), and consider myself an old soul and find that I have more in common in the 40+ age bracket than with people my own age. My boyfriend, whom I met student teaching, is 16 years older than I, and on most days I would rate my maturity level exceptionally higher than his. :)
If you need to get ahold of me, please email email@example.com.